GLOBAL CYCLE EVENT

In a world increasingly preoccupied with throwaway materialistic things; where people are constantly busy earning money to pay for those things, or so their children can have those things;
This is the story of my dreams of travelling the world by bicycle. Because it's there. And because I dont want to die without experiencing the truly important things in life .

A sense of wonder and a sense of adventure.

Saturday 26 November 2011

9011 Week End Warriors.

Race Day.

The day dawned clear and windy. In fact it was extremely windy to the point of being dangerous. Over 9000 cyclists most hell bent in doing their best possible time and a road littered with wind blown vegetation was a recipe for disaster. And no doubt there was disaster for some. But Niel the Wheel and M.U.M sailed around without a hitch. I still don't know my time since it really wasn't a race for me. Just another hard 160km on the bike . Lets face it your never going to do a race time on a touring bike. Even one stripped of mudguards and carriers. It didn't fool anyone with more than one comment suggesting that I could have at least taken the stand off.

And Still They Come In.


Having got back to Taupo without incident I immediately crashed in the tent before realising that not only had I got to vote for the Government, but also reconfigure my bike for the trip back tomorrow and also get dinner! All before prize giving at 6pm.

Back Home After the Race.


After the race I bumped into some of the Nelson group racing and they offered me a trip back in the van. Last time I cycled up about 10yrs ago I would have accepted the offer but this time I feel pretty good and am almost looking forward to the 160kms I expect to do tomorrow. I just hope its a tail wind. You can always hope.

I didn't win the car at prize giving and I'm absolutely gutted. (yeah right)

I'm cooking dinner now and the weekend warriors are busy packing their kids and bikes into the back of their RVs.

No comments:

Post a Comment