GLOBAL CYCLE EVENT

In a world increasingly preoccupied with throwaway materialistic things; where people are constantly busy earning money to pay for those things, or so their children can have those things;
This is the story of my dreams of travelling the world by bicycle. Because it's there. And because I dont want to die without experiencing the truly important things in life .

A sense of wonder and a sense of adventure.

Thursday 24 November 2011

Wrong Turn!

Day 4.

I made a major cock up today by going the wrong way!

The day started with pouring rain so I thought I'd flag it all together because the central plateau is not a nice place in wind and driving rain and i have a day up my sleeve. However at 10am the rain had cleared mostly so I was off. I got to the high point at National park and the wind came around to my back and i was literally laughing. In fact laughing so much that I missed my turn and kept heading Eastwards instead of westwards! Twenty kilometers later I'd realised my mistake. Funny though because normally realising I had gone the wrong way would have quite annoyed me. But I think I may be having too many energy drinks because it didn't seem to phase me.



If I'd realised then that to get back on track I'd have to go over a hooer of a pass i may have been more concerned. but cycle tourings like that what you don't know is coming never obviously daunts you.

Since I'd left late time was a bit critical but luckily the wind was still behind me as I approached the 130km stage and found myself on the race circuit that I will be doing in a couple of days. the circuit goes around Lake Taupo.

It was at that stage that I caught up with one off the super enduro riders who was doing the 1600km challenge around the lake. That's 10 times around the 160km circuit. He was going through a bad patch so I tried to cheer him up. But I suppose being caught by a fully laden cycle tourist doesn't help your morale when you're riding a tri bike. I may see him in the race when I start the single lap on Saturday. I'll have to shout some encouragement. He needed to slow down for a feed so I took off for my destination of Taupo.



I didn't make it though due to my wrong turn. I'll have to polish off the rest tomorrow. Tonight I'm cooking myself stodgy rice. Its got to be good to carbo load and since i could only get a biggish bag I'll be rice for a few nights I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment