GLOBAL CYCLE EVENT

In a world increasingly preoccupied with throwaway materialistic things; where people are constantly busy earning money to pay for those things, or so their children can have those things;
This is the story of my dreams of travelling the world by bicycle. Because it's there. And because I dont want to die without experiencing the truly important things in life .

A sense of wonder and a sense of adventure.

Wednesday 22 August 2012

Petrol at Record Highs!


Who cares.
That’s it. Tomorrow we’re off to Vietnam for a bit of pedalling and sweating. Adi usually does more sweating than I do. However with temps expected to be in the mid 30’s and humidity up at 90% I think I could be glowing as well. A week ago I got Adi’s Bike configured into touring mode and checked everything so she was happy with it. Adi likes 23mm tyres for all her cycling but I put my foot down and said for touring she will have to use wider tyres from now on. I got sick of having to fix countless punctures on our last tour together across the US . I thought if I’m fixing all punctures I can decide on the type of tyres used.
Wrong.

 My companion went out to test ride the new tyres and immediately over-ruled my putting my foot down. She advised me that if I wanted to arrive each day at our destination before dark then I had better put her skinny threads back on again. So after another hour in the bike shed sorting tyres and tubes her GT was ready.
Adi's Touring Bike on the Left Ready to Go.

My Mercian adjustments went well as was expected since I had used it earlier in the year on an overseas tour. I decided for this trip that I would use my Campag 10speed wheels and a different Brooks’s saddle but other than that she was set up in a conventional sort of way.

I did my last stint at the bike shop last week before departure and it was sad leaving the place again. I’m never sure when I head off cycle touring whether there will be a job for me when I come back but I can’t let this stop me as I live to ride and none of us are getting any younger. The regular customers wished me well and Lisbeth loaned me a map of Asia and a novel about another couple who had cycled to Singapore. Great bedtime reading.
Ready to Rumble.

So tomorrow I’m on my bike without my helmet for an illegal dash to the airport. Most of it is along cycle paths but a small stretch will have to be covered in fear of a $50 fine from the nana state. Then its bike disassembly and packing into bike bags being carried. I’ll give myself plenty of time for this as I have to do Adi’s bike too.

Shave my legs… then water off, power off, lock the door.

Will leave Woo to look after the place and then it’s good bye NZ, hello Asia.

No comments:

Post a Comment