GLOBAL CYCLE EVENT

In a world increasingly preoccupied with throwaway materialistic things; where people are constantly busy earning money to pay for those things, or so their children can have those things;
This is the story of my dreams of travelling the world by bicycle. Because it's there. And because I dont want to die without experiencing the truly important things in life .

A sense of wonder and a sense of adventure.

Wednesday 26 June 2013

No Lunch Makes Adi Grumpy.


Day 10.

We camped overnight at the Nacusp Municipal Campground even though it was raining. I am slowly getting Adi hardened up. But it was all a bit damp and gritty. There happened to be a local baseball game on at the time which was a bit annoying because the batters sheds would have made a great place to cook dinner out of the drizzle. The game didn’t look like ending anytime soon so we dragged the picnic table under a tree where we had pretty good shelter. Cooking dinner was a pain due to ‘ken’ the cookers pressure leak.

Adi Headed up the Road to Meet a Bear.
The next morning was once again drizzly as we headed North along the 50km stretch that connects with the lake ferry to Revelstoke. A lovely road despite the dampness. I’m riding ahead most of the time but at about the 48km mark I decide to take a picture of some wild flowers (as us blokes do from time to time), so let Adi go off ahead. I finally catch up with her after I had taken my photo and she is standing there straddling her bike. As I sail by I ask her what the matter is, “Come on, no time for dallying”. She eventually catches me up down the road and then tells me she had stopped because a huge black bear was ambling about on the road where I had just ridden. Telling me that she was dumb struck so couldn’t warn me. I don’t know if I was more annoyed that she had seen a bear that I hadn’t or that she hadn’t warned me! I didn’t even have my camera ready.

So instead of a bear picture you get one of the ferry.  A brief period of sunny weather and then the rain set in again as we covered the next 50km to Revelstoke. No more bear sightings. There were also no food places in that 100km stretch so Adi was a bit grumpy to the nice campground lady when we checked in. I also think it was me saying I would not ask to see if they had cabins and that the tent was perfectly adequate that may have been a pre cursor for it.

Day 11.

‘Niel the wheel ‘is not in the best of spirits this morning because although we have a day off in Revelstoke he has not only run out of sweeties when he wakes up but ‘ken the cooker has a broken weld in one of his legs! Not to mention the pump washer problem. “Can you fix the weld?” asks Adi. “You can’t fix a damaged weld!” I say. “You can’t just tape up a broken weld. I’m trying to get my head around the fact that ‘ken ‘ might not be able to make the trip when I decide to at least see if I can get one of my replacement leather washers in his pump chamber. After only a short time I’ve done that successfully. But how to fix the weld?

We shoot off down town for breakfast and I take ‘ken’ thinking that a plumber may be able to solder his leg on. Adi suggested that we use him without it. Can you imagine cooking on a stove with only 2 legs? I don’t think so.  Revelstoke was a pretty town. But then it rained, and rained, and then it was hot and sunny for about 90mins and now it’s raining again.

A Brief Sunny Interlude.
The plumbers refused to solder ‘ken’ because he had fuel in him. I don’t think plumbers are as tough as they used to be. But at the hardware I found all sorts of amazing things to fix him with. I’m putting my money on epoxy cold weld glue and a length of 20 gauge steel oven wire. We may not go hungry after all.

Adi says that the 20 gauge steel oven wire was her idea. You can see that this entry has been critiqued

No comments:

Post a Comment