In a world increasingly preoccupied with throwaway materialistic things; where people are constantly busy earning money to pay for those things, or so their children can have those things;
This is the story of my dreams of travelling the world by bicycle. Because it's there. And because I dont want to die without experiencing the truly important things in life .

A sense of wonder and a sense of adventure.

Wednesday, 28 September 2011

Bloody Wind!

I decided this week to do a 330km circuit near home.  Because I was going to be riding a touring bike with a bit of gear and because I'm not that fit at the moment I thought I'd make it easier on myself by making it a two day romp in the countryside.

An achievable 160km each day seemed to be the go.....  But life on the bicycle doesn't always go to plan and this little jaunt was one of those trips.

My first mistake stemmed from the fact that as mentioned previously I am the reluctant cyclist so I didn't end up leaving on day one until 11am, much to Adi's concern." No problem I said I often do 130km in an afternoon". Second mistake cockiness! Well the bike with overnight camping gear and spare clothes was somewhat heavier than  expected and I headed out into a southerly headwind that just kept getting stronger as the afternoon wore on. The first 70kms were up hill and by the time I had got to the half way point for that day I was ready to just give up, turn around and come back home with my tail between my legs. Four pm and I'd only covered 70kms! Before tossing the whole thing in I had a pie and triple strength energy drink.

Nothing like a pie and energy drink to make you really feel immortal. I decided to push on mainly to save face and because it was too late to get home anyway.

The great Bicycle Lord was looking after me because I picked up a tail wind and by 7pm had completed 130kms. I even managed to find a dumpy country tavern with a hot shower and a piece of grass out the back. All for $10. (Believe me a bargain in NZ)

If I look Buggered Its Because I was!
Tired as I was that night it had dawned on me that since my circuit was 330kms, and since I had only covered 130km, I was in for a 200km ride the next day or another night in my one man tent. My one man tent is not only the heaviest one man tent in existence its also the most uncomfortable and claustrophobic.

After waking up a couple times in the night thinking I'd died and been buried, only to find that I was still alive but just zipped up in a nylon  body bag, I decided I had to make the 200kms the next day.

The Coffin.
This time I was on my bike at 9am. But not before having another hot shower just to get my $10 worth.The wind was unpredictable and the bike just as heavy but this time I was a little more focused. I zoomed out to the most northerly part of the circuit along Marlborough Sounds and then headed West before fighting the bastard southerly wind again for the final 50kms home.

And here I sit happy that not only did I complete the mission but also that I managed 200kms on a reasonably heavy bike. I deserve chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment