GLOBAL CYCLE EVENT

In a world increasingly preoccupied with throwaway materialistic things; where people are constantly busy earning money to pay for those things, or so their children can have those things;
This is the story of my dreams of travelling the world by bicycle. Because it's there. And because I dont want to die without experiencing the truly important things in life .

A sense of wonder and a sense of adventure.

Sunday 16 October 2011

Work and Home Work.

Well that's it! It was hard to do but I have given my notice at work. In one month I will cease to be a part time bicycle sales boy and become another jobless person scratching a living from the land.

Poor old 'Potters-End' has been slowly falling down around our ears and its time I concentrated on fixing it up a bit.  So I have reinvented myself as a restoration expert and gardener. Since fixing the house myself saves us lots of money but doesn't actually earn us anything I will have to plant veges and Adi will have to keep working for a bit yet. I've told Adi  I can't start my new job as house renovator until I officially finish work as a bike boy. But today I started clearing more ground for vege growing because we don't want to starve next winter.


Clearing for veges is hard work and if your observant you will see that I have a man size bag of pick n mix sweeties to keep me going. One of the benefits of Adi working at the local grocery is a regular supply of good for me food such as pick n mix, chocolate and cheese flavoured chips. I'm always the first to greet my girl when she rides up the driveway after work. Adi's boss Jim is pretty up there when it comes to making my life a pleasure as well. He often donates a block of chocolate or dated frozen goods to the Potters-end  pantry.


Now I'm smiling because I've found a licorice allsort. My favourite.

Apart from giving up my job and clearing part of the garden for self sufficiency this week, I have also collected more bicycle equipment for next years cycling adventures. Because as tight as our budget will now be we will still have enough money for cycling overseas.

You may well ask yourself, "How can someone on next to no income still  manage to go on cycle trips in far off countries?"

Well I'll tell you. And most of you wont like it because you're probably already stuffed.

If you don't have KIDS , drive a CAR or OWE lots of money you don't need that much money to survive. And when you do go on holiday if you cycle and camp all you need to pay for is food and a tent site. So there you have it. It's not rocket science and I had it pretty well worked out by the time I was 18yrs old.



As you can see from the photo of my beloved Mercian, this week I got the four pannier bags, racks and other small bits of touring kit. I did have old touring bags that I used on touring holidays prior to using BOB trailers but these old bags are really past their use by date now. And besides I've always wanted black bags because they match everything so nicely and also allow one to blend into the countryside in  a traditional quiet sort of way. No fluoro touring for me! I've got a lovely Brooks handlebar bag just to finish it all off nicely. The idea is to have plenty of bags but not to put too much in them. A well balanced bike with little strain on racks is the desired effect. Early next year when I'm packed and ready for the road, we'll see how light the whole thing is!

I've got to go now the rugby world cup is on and I should watch it even though I don't give a toss about rugby. I do like a bit of national pride. And the chance to beat the Aussies at anything.


No comments:

Post a Comment