GLOBAL CYCLE EVENT

In a world increasingly preoccupied with throwaway materialistic things; where people are constantly busy earning money to pay for those things, or so their children can have those things;
This is the story of my dreams of travelling the world by bicycle. Because it's there. And because I dont want to die without experiencing the truly important things in life .

A sense of wonder and a sense of adventure.

Wednesday 26 October 2011

My First On-Line Purchase.

I know this sort of thing is nothing new for most of you. But for someone who didn't have a lap top 6 months ago its still pretty amazing to buy something mail order.

As I mentioned in previous blogs I'm still working at the bike shop but have now only a couple of weeks to go. I've handed in my notice to begin working on our old villa 'Potters-End' since wood eating insects have had about 40yrs head start on trying to destroy our dream in the countryside. It might take me a few years to catch up on them. And while I'm at it I'll need to insulate the place a bit more completely than the early settlers seemed to have thought necessary and replace the piles. Not much work really!

O'and I need to fit in a cycle race around the world. Because Adi says I'm not getting any younger and if I'm going to beat those young'uns and have something to dream about while I slurp my coffee on the deck in the future I'd better get of the fence and get my head properly around it.(Something I am still having huge trouble doing).

Anyway I've bought some cycle shoes that I couldn't get through the local supplier.

Aren't they beautiful. I've always loved Sidi shoes. I ordered the white ones because I thought they'd match the white barber pole stripes on my Mercian frame. And if I'm unlucky and break that Mercian (God forbid) they would also match my spare white framed Mercian. I think the silver ones look too much like Shimano moon boot type shoes. No offence to the moon boot cyclists out there.

As soon as Adi had told me to get back into Global Bike  Race training she was back on the couch planning my 200km days on the bike during the event.



"Leave me some time to eat and sleep lovey". I suppose its for the best. At $50 per day I wont have much money for eating, and sleeping will probably be strictly under the nearest hedge I suppose.

Got an email the other day from the organiser asking me what colour icon I wanted to represent me on their web page. Since at that stage I had decided that life would be a lot easier just not going biking around the world at all I, didn't get immediately back to them so will no doubt miss all the exciting colours. I will let you all know my colour in due course. If I'm really lucky they may run out of coloured icons and I can settle for a nice little 6 week cycling trip in Vietnam with Adi instead.

As you can see I'm still looking for an excuse for not doing this event. So feel free to give me some if you wish.

I'm not called the reluctant cyclist for nothing.

Thanks Jane for the comment on greenies. Just this week the world population reached 7 billion. Everyone please stop breeding, the cycleways are crowded enough already after school! Or could we keep them in school permanently?

Or could we just have a moratorium on breeding for 50yrs. That's not much to ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment