GLOBAL CYCLE EVENT

In a world increasingly preoccupied with throwaway materialistic things; where people are constantly busy earning money to pay for those things, or so their children can have those things;
This is the story of my dreams of travelling the world by bicycle. Because it's there. And because I dont want to die without experiencing the truly important things in life .

A sense of wonder and a sense of adventure.

Friday 17 June 2011

Where's the Passion ?

Ok I admit it, I'm passionate about bike riding to the point of it being a psychotic condition. At times some of my friends might think that I treat my bike a good deal better than I  treat Adi.I'd like everybody to know that that  may have been the case in the first 10-15yrs of Adi's and my relationship but now Adi is definitely up there on an equal footing with my bike.


Never underestimate one of these.

But that's not what this is about. I want to say that I really admire people that are passionate about anything no matter how silly because those people are much more interesting than your average boring person that does nothing different from one year to the next.(How many years do those people think they've got to do all those interesting things out there?). One of my friends recently got kicked in the head by her horse ( boy I bet that hurt!) and I made some comment about how my bike wouldn't whack me when I wasn't looking. And she said that at least her horse loves her.

WHAT AND MY BIKE DOESN'T LOVE ME!!

It's great having a bit of healthy banter with people that care about something. A few people that I know are passionate enough about cycling to say that they will cycle with me on bits of my global bike race next year. So at this stage I may well have company across Aussie and Canada! I don't think there's anything in the rules against a bit of wheel sucking. In fact since this is the first Global Bike Race I don't think there are any rules?

No doubt this time next week a package the size of a  chilly bin will turn up at the bike shop packed with preliminary race rules.

The South Americans have entered The Race.

I notice from the entry list that Brazil, Spain and the USA have entered their best. Things are getting tricky. Whereas before most of the contestants were from the UK and Isle of Man and I felt assured that  I could gain time by riding while the others where having 11zees , lunch break and afternoon tea zeez now I have to contend with people that will not ride to union rules and will also not burn in the mid day sun! I will just have to be more resourceful.

1 comment:

  1. That picture looks just like the ratbag horse in question! Being passionate/obsessive about something makes life a heck of a lot more interesting. I'm enjoying following your blog and hearing about your preparations for your epic adventure! Jane

    ReplyDelete