GLOBAL CYCLE EVENT

In a world increasingly preoccupied with throwaway materialistic things; where people are constantly busy earning money to pay for those things, or so their children can have those things;
This is the story of my dreams of travelling the world by bicycle. Because it's there. And because I dont want to die without experiencing the truly important things in life .

A sense of wonder and a sense of adventure.

Thursday 18 August 2011

August Longesh Ride

I'm calling this the August Longish Ride because each month in the lead up to the Feb start next year I'm going to do a longer ride or rides to boost my fitness. Since I'm not that fit yet, this months longer ride is not that long.

My mother would call it long but then she's in her 90's. Adi's boss Jim would think it was long because he thinks driving the car is exercise enough.In fact Adi's boss Jim thinks Adi is far to good for me and that Adi should get a real husband that drives to work, takes her on real holidays where she can lie on a beach and go on regular shopping trips. At the very least he thinks the Lost breed should rough me up a bit. I like Jim he's got a good sense of humour.

As a very reluctant cyclist I will no doubt have trouble leaving on this ride which is why I'm posting my intent now. Next Tuesday I will down my can of Pam's Creamed Rice (see' Enhancements and Nutrition Section' of my blog) and head of on treadlie to Blenhiem via St Arnaud (alpine town) with kit for an overnight stay in a budget backpackers. With a bit of money in my pocket for fish & chips that night. I should complete about 160km's in that leg.

A Bit of Gravel Anyone?

The next day should be more interesting because after a can of Spaghetti and sausages I'll return along the scenic coastal Queen Charlotte Sounds route before  hitting the old gold miners trail of Maungatapu to Nelson. That should give me another 160kms or a night in the bush if the tracks closed. Incidentally a night up there would not be at all desirable as the locals will tell you there are unhappy spirits up that way.

Will need gravel tyres for this little jaunt and a bike that can carry more than just a spare tube. I think steel is the answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment