GLOBAL CYCLE EVENT

In a world increasingly preoccupied with throwaway materialistic things; where people are constantly busy earning money to pay for those things, or so their children can have those things;
This is the story of my dreams of travelling the world by bicycle. Because it's there. And because I dont want to die without experiencing the truly important things in life .

A sense of wonder and a sense of adventure.

Thursday 12 January 2012

Always Pick the Top Bunk.

O’ Here we go again. If I sound a little tired it’s because I am. Physically my body is running well. I have no sore bits on the bike. No sore bum, feet or muscles to speak of. After my first days ride I was physically tired and the next day I had sore muscles. But now I feel just mentally over it.

Today I got up. Couldn’t be bothered with breakfast so just got on my bike and rode the 55kms to Adi’s mothers place and then had coffee and scones which was nice. But all the way there I was just thinking; OK I’m up to speed again physically and can ride the bike for as long as I need as long as I just keep putting the fuel in. But I’m stale with it mentally and I think Adi and I should stay an extra day in Christchurch to see the earthquake damage and then rent a van, throw Vespa and bike in the back and drive home.
More of the Same. Pedal , Pedal, Pedal.

The thing is I won’t be able to do that when I’m overseas I’ll just have to get on with it. I think the problem is that I didn’t get enough sleep last night. By the time I’d blogged and I’d checked emails etc. it was midnight.

And then I did a stupid thing. There were two beds in the little cabin as bunks i.e.  top or bottom. and because I’d already put all my stuff on the top , I chose the bottom to sleep on. Bad move. The bottom bunk is where all the fat people sleep because they can’t get into the top bed. So I jumped in and the springs and mattress was so saggy that I almost rolled out. But I didn’t have the energy to shift everything and get into the top bunk so didn’t get a great night’s sleep.

I chatted to the relatives at Adi’s Mum’s place and tried to think positively about cycling the world. But at the moment it’s difficult.

Then on the bike again to complete a 165km day of average scenery to a place called Culverden  in North Canterbury. Culverden has no official motor camp so they charged us $10 each and gave us the key to the cricket clubrooms. No one else there so we had the place to ourselves. Adi made dinner and I lay around all over the place. (Thinking, stuff this).
I'm Just Over it Tonight.

Adi takes off on the motorbike home tomorrow and leaves me to finish the 300kms home on my own. The weather is supposed to pack in tomorrow over Lewis pass so I think I’ll do 130km tomorrow and sleep in the tent, probably in the rain , in the Pass somewhere. Then the next day I’ll complete the mission with a 170km.

No blog sending tomorrow night I think. As I will be pegged out under dripping beech trees, cowering from hungry sand flies. And there will be no internet coverage.

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there Niel, you'll be ok in the world trip - cycling up the east coast of NZ is one of the most BORING trips (long straight mostly flat boring) in NZ so it's no wonder that you're feeling the way you are... You'll be fine with the great scenary around the world for your big trip :)

    ReplyDelete