GLOBAL CYCLE EVENT

In a world increasingly preoccupied with throwaway materialistic things; where people are constantly busy earning money to pay for those things, or so their children can have those things;
This is the story of my dreams of travelling the world by bicycle. Because it's there. And because I dont want to die without experiencing the truly important things in life .

A sense of wonder and a sense of adventure.

Wednesday 4 January 2012

Getting Stronger.

Day 3

It was a great days cycling down the coast. My body I think is remembering what cycle touring is all about. And apart from some sore muscles we zoomed down the coast overtaking other cycle tourists like they were standing still.
Last Day on the Coast.

Adi met me at Hari Hari for lunch and informed me that there were quite a few cyclists behind me that I hadn’t seen. They must have sprung out of bushes after I had gone by. No doubt camping rough along the rivers.  The terrain can best be described as flat to rolling with the occasional gut buster of a climb. These nasty climbs are generally around Fox and Franz Joseph Glaciers. They are the result of debris that has over the years been deposited by the retreating glaciers.
It Just Looks so Idealic......

I overtook a couple of cycle tourists that were carrying so much stuff I had to force myself not to say anything. I’m sure they’re really comfortable when they stop but peddling all that stuff up some of the sharp climbs must rip your legs off. Further on I caught up with a French couple on their bikes and just as I was approaching the women got off her bike and just let it drop to the ground. Not a happy camper I think. I could have made a comment such as ‘doesn’t that model come with a stand?’ But felt that the time was not right.
Until You See the Size of the Mozzies.

Nothing else of note to report today. Fine weather, great scenery and the local sand-flies couldn’t fly fast enough to get me.  I’ve decided to try to get to a place called Makarora tomorrow. It will be a 200km day in the rain over Haast Pass but will be worth it for two reasons; firstly because the West coast of the South Island is not a nice place in the rain and secondly, it’s the only motor camp around. I don’t fancy freedom camping on the coast in the rain smeared in mosquito ointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment