GLOBAL CYCLE EVENT

In a world increasingly preoccupied with throwaway materialistic things; where people are constantly busy earning money to pay for those things, or so their children can have those things;
This is the story of my dreams of travelling the world by bicycle. Because it's there. And because I dont want to die without experiencing the truly important things in life .

A sense of wonder and a sense of adventure.

Wednesday 11 January 2012

Is There Anything of Interest Out There.

Yesterday wasn’t boring it was just truck infested. Today was mind blowingly boring. Even cycling across Australia you had the chance of seeing a dingo , camel, or kangaroo. Today was 188kms of flat sun drenched cow country. If you find Pine trees and wheat fields interesting then this is your stretch of road. If you don’t mind battling for 10hours into whatever wind is served up then this is your ticket. Chatting to roadside farm animals is ok but since I’ve got to do the kilometres one cannot get to truly know them.

O’ and let’s not forget the trucks.  There is no God .I know this because if there was all truck drivers would have had one to many beers last night and exploded. The truckies were back playing with their rigs. They weren’t so much a problem from a safety point of view because once again there was a shoulder on the road. It was the constant noise of them going by. Last night I had truck rumble in my ears for an hour after I went to bed. I know this would be like a symphony to a trucker’s wife brought up on a diet of diesel engines and line dancing but I just wanted to get that noise out of my head. There were road trains in Aussie that rumbled past but only every 15minutes or so. Not one on the bumper of another.

Back to the boringness. I did find things to focus on. I could focus on the cycle computer ticking over. And I could focus on what kind of ice cream I’d get at my next stop. And now and again if you were lucky you’d see a sign in the distance and you’d look forward to what it would say and low and behold it would say something interesting like ‘Stock Effluent Disposal Area’

The high point of the day was catching up with Adi’s brother Simon and having a good chin wag about cycling and travelling. Then Adi said “Niel, on your bike, you’ve still got 100kms to do”

Once I was back on my bike Adi zoomed off and left me. I’m just too slow for her. I got a bit behind schedule with my repairs a few days ago so Adi took off to see her Mum in Christchurch and I’ve got to catch up tomorrow.
Check Out the Helmet and Glove Tan.

Tonight I’m in a little hut on the Rakaia River. It sure is quiet here but I’ve been here 3hrs now and I’m sure I can hear road noise in my head. Maybe if I do my prayers tonight God will grant my wish.

No comments:

Post a Comment