GLOBAL CYCLE EVENT

In a world increasingly preoccupied with throwaway materialistic things; where people are constantly busy earning money to pay for those things, or so their children can have those things;
This is the story of my dreams of travelling the world by bicycle. Because it's there. And because I dont want to die without experiencing the truly important things in life .

A sense of wonder and a sense of adventure.

Monday 2 January 2012

I Died a Hundred Deaths Today.

Day 1.

Well I left home an hour late at 9am. Really I should have left at 7am. This proved to be the only big mistake of the day as it meant that I didn’t get to Murchison until 3pm. The weather was clear and sunny but I had a head wind and it was hot! Adi caught me up on the Vespa and we sat drinking glass after glass of coke. Well actually I drank glass after glass.

Just like in the Lord Of The Rings Movie Adi had given me foil wrapped food to take in the morning and I finished the rest of this at lunchtime. That was really my second mistake because I should have had something more substantial.
Another Hill and My Tummy is Empty.


I assumed that the shop at the 150km mark would be open and it would have been had I left at 7am. But of course when I cruised in at 6pm it had closed. And having not eaten properly at lunch time led to the last 50kms being a real grovel. Luckily I had some chocolate bars and water but I was counting on a big ice-cream and a caffeinated energy drink.

The last hour of the ride would have been a dream with an ice-cream in my tummy because the head wind died down and the temperature dropped to a nice 18C. But with no food I grovelled right up to the end pulling into the motor camp at 8.30pm!


Adi looked after me with a steak meal and plenty of drink. After a hot shower I almost felt human. Another hour or so later I even had the energy to arrange my side of the tent and give Adi a lesson on how men can pee into an old drink can to save walking to the toilet block. I can’t say I had a great night’s sleep in the tent with the local wekas keeping me awake and too much caffeinated drink not helping either. For that matter my pillow wasn’t exactly soft and the loud German van packers next door kept sliding their van doors open and closed at regular intervals. I don’t know what’s more annoying the sound of the German accent or sliding car doors.

I don’t know how I’ll go tomorrow after a hard 200km day today and little sleep?

No comments:

Post a Comment